Wednesday

Busy Bee During Sabbatical

The big news is that I am taking a sabbatical.  The not so big news is that I haven't had much excitement in my life on a day to day basis. since I've been home each day without a busy work schedule to take up my time.  But I can say that the stress level is near zero and it is very nice; with a capital V! I can't remember the last time I've felt so relaxed.  That's not to say that I haven't had plenty to do. 

Boeing had/has and still is going through labor contractions as it is trying to compete better and lower their costs (raise profits).  So every quarter they offer Voluntary Layoffs and when they don't get enough "bites" they start handing out layoff notices.  I didn't bite, so I did get a notice.  It didn't take long for us to decide (less than a weekend of discussions) it became clear that we could come out ahead financially to NOT stay at Boeing, but to go ahead and leave and pocket the generous severance.  My IT Project Manager skills are in high demand here in Seattle, so I can take some time off and then go do some contract work later this winter and work a few more years and continue lining the retirement nest.  I will turn in retirement paperwork and start my pension early next year.  The big question is where to put the money each month, because I don't need it now.  Roth?  Extra payments on one of the houses to get it paid off?  Lots of mental chewing gum.

Prior to leaving in late, I made a long list of things to do while I was off.  I knew I was going to be busy.  Now I'm not sure I'll get it all done!  I already feel the clock ticking away: tick, tock, tick, tock... I still have to paint the small decks, finish the upstairs bathroom, organize the pantry, organize the upstairs storage room...yikes.




No comments: